Thursday, March 29, 2012

Keepin it weird in Austin

I love Austin. In fact, I want to live there.  Then again, I usually say that every time I go on vacation, so maybe I just love vacations.  

Because of whole "yea your dogs can't stay here experience," I didn't get any pictures of Friday night. Not a big deal, you already know about all that excitement. 

Lets start with Saturday.  We woke up early, there was an overcast, the weather was perfect and I just knew this would be perfect race weather.  



Our group decided to hit the running expo first to pick up our race packets and t-shirts.

 

But not before, I demanded that everyone stop at Starbucks, so I could pay an arm and a leg for some good coffee. (Yes, I realize that there is free coffee at the hotel).  
Evan's first stroller ride outside the neighborhood. 

Leave me alone, $5 is not too much for coffee. 

There was no way Savanna and John were spending hard earned money on coffee, so they paused for a photo op instead. 

The race expo was nice.  A little small, but then again, I have never been to or ran a 10K that actually had an expo, so it was a nice touch.  Dad and Savanna actually scored really nice Asics for $50.  I have the most common shoe size in the world, so no super discounted shoes for me.  

After breakfast, expo and walking around downtown, it was time to relax at the hotel. 




Our little travelers did such a great job!

We decided to eat lunch at the Hula Hut on Lake Austin.






The food was really good and inexpensive.  I got Fish Tacos, Bill got the biggest burrito known to man, and we shared a fried banana dessert (I can't remember the name). Evan had milk.  We were happy campers when we left.

After lunch, my mom, Ashley, Evan and I decided to tour the Texas State Capitol while everyone else was napping.


Here is a picture looking down from the capitol to the start of the race.  Beautiful views.

The Texas Capital is so beautiful.  Here is a picture looking up into the rotunda.

What mom?  Dee and I are educating ourselves.


Even the door hinges were decorated.

Looking down from the third floor: 

I would like to introduce you to the future governor of Texas:


After our tour, we decided that ice cream was a necessity, so we found Amy's Ice Cream thanks to the GPS on my phone.  (Aren't Iphones wonderful!)  Amy's is kind of like Marble Slab or Cold Stone creamery, but with a local Austin touch.  The workers actually through ice cream scoops in the air pizza dough style.  So fun! 

After ice cream it was back to the hotel for more nap time. Naked, of course.  



We packed in so much in to Saturday since it was our only day for sightseeing.  After the race on Sunday, Bill  , Evan and I headed straight back to OKC.   We cannot wait to travel to Austin again and hopefully stay longer next time, maybe even see a band or two.  You know it is the live music capital of the world, right!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment