Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cooking Light

I have the world's greatest mother-in-law. There are several reasons for this, but today it is because she bought me a subscription to Cooking Light.  I think she did this in the hopes that I would start cooking decent meals for her son, but that turned out to be a waste of money on her part. :)  Just kidding, she's smarter than that and knows there is no hope for my culinary future.  I do however love to read the articles and there is one I wanted to share with you guys.  




This article projects the future of food over the next 25 years.  I found it fascinating and disturbing.  Lets go through them, shall we:

1. On-site vegetable and fish "farms" will be in side your local grocery store.  I love the idea of fresh vegetables at the grocery store.  Imagine picking tomatoes off the vine.  Yum!  I'm not so sure about the fish.  I like to think that my fish were swimming happily in a big ocean before their untimely demise.

2. Tissue culturing will yield to healthier meat.  I am not really sure what this means, but it sounds scientific and fake and weird.

3. Produce will grow very quickly.  Here is what the article says, "It would have to be a GM [genetically modified] seed, unfortunately, but wouldn't it be cool to plant a seed, water it, and wake up to delicious produce the next day?"  Yes, it would, but how much more impatient can we get?  What is so wrong with cultivating a garden and waiting for it to grow.

4.  You'll be able to virtually meet a chicken. Radical transparency will be the norm.  You will be able to scan the bar code on the box of eggs and see a photo of the chicken that laid those eggs.  Again, weird, but cool.  My luck, the chicken would be plowing its face in to a pile of poo right as I decide to scan the bar code.

5.  If things carry on this way, most adults will be obese by 2025.  This article predicts that if rate gain weights continue at this rate, normal weight adults will constitute less than a third of the population by 2025 and obesity prevalence will have increased by 65%.  Really?  Shouldn't the overnight veggie farms in grocery stores and fake health meat help with this?  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment