Monday, July 9, 2012

Five Ks, Festivals and Fireworks

Please know that I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the first chance I have had since Wednesday to write this blog post.  Well, you know I am not exaggerating because I would never do that.

Last year for the fourth of July, I'm pretty sure Bill and I slept in and did nothing more than watch TV all day.  Fast forward one year and one kid later, and we were up at 5:00 a.m. and going nonstop until well past our normal bed time.  I have said it many times, but life is just so much better when viewed through a child's eyes and holidays are no exception.

This year, I kicked off July 4th with a 5K at Lake Hefner with my friends Carlie and Bailey.  Sorry, I didn't take pictures but Carlie did (Hi Carlie, please email me the pictures. :) ).  I could put my official race photos on here for you to view, but I'm sure I would lose the 5 followers I do have.  So I will just spare you those horrible photos. 

update - here are photos. I know you have all been eagerly waiting.   


After the race, I decided it would be a good idea for my mom and I to take my two nieces (ages 3 and 4) and my 6 1/2 month old son to a two hour long parade in 100 degree weather.  Most of my parental decisions are this brilliant.  


We started out very excited.  But after this: 


This: 


With a side view of this: 


And about thirty minutes of this: 


 

We started to get really thirsty: 




And decided to get the heck out of dodge


We had about an hour until the festival started, so we did what reasonable people in our predicament would do and drove straight to Panera for coffee and fattening pastries (no bagels were consumed).  Then it was straight to the festival.  

The fearless Nyah

 Kylie, the little bull in a china shop




Hey mom, its hot as heck out here.  Give me some watermelon. 

Sure buddy, I think that is a great idea. 


No, I did not take the seeds out.  Yes, I realize he could have choked.  Don't call child protective services on me for this, I have much better material for you coming up soon. 



Hey, do you know how I can get this in my mouth?

Stupid thing needs to be smaller

There, that's better.

After man-handling a watermelon and wearing out our free festival welcome on the slip and slide, snow cones were in order.  


Parenting lesson number 152: Never promise a child something unless you are sure you can make it happen.  
Parenting lesson number 153:  Check all details for events multiple times because chances are you do not know what the heck you are talking about. 

I told the girls there would be face painting at the festival.  Why is it that kids obsess over the one thing you mess up on?  How many times did the girls ask about the inflatables at the festival? Zero.  How many times did they ask about free hot dogs?  Zero (I know, shocker!).  But mention face painting and it is ALL they talk about.  Seriously.  Every single time we mentioned anything, the response was "and we are going to get face paintings?"  Well, it turns out that face painting was at the UCO festival the evening of July 4th, not the church festival that morning.  What were the grandma and aunt who promised face painting to do?  Hightail our butts to another festival, that's what.  

We left the church festival about 1:30, went straight home and crashed for a couple of hours, got our festival-going-rears back in gear, and were at UCO by 6:30.  We stayed just long enough for the girls to get face paintings and play a little while.  





Then I discovered my mom's secret.  She must be made of batteries, the energizer kind.  Seriously, she stayed up with the girls for fireworks that did not start until 10:00p.m. .  She cannot be human.  

No comments:

Post a Comment