Friday, September 21, 2012

Forks over Knives

Veggies over meat. Candy over veggies. Coffee over everything. Now you know my diet over the last 21 days.

You may remember (you may have forgotten because you are worried about more important things than my self-imposed rules and challenges), but going vegetarian for a month was one of my 30 under 30 challenges and September was the lucky winner of this insane challenge. Why September you ask? Well, in October I'm going to St.Louis, which I hear has great BBQ, so that was out. November, don't be ridiculous, I intend to be full of turkey that month. No one should kid theirselves about food restrictions in December. So that leaves January through April. But lets be honest, its been four months. I've completed less than five challenges (including one I have cheated, I mean changed the rules, on); it was time to get busy. So, here we are. Day 21 of this crazy bean challenge.

I guess you are all wondering if I have gone crazy. Or maybe you are wondering if my dad plans to shoot me in the rear with his bow and arrow. I spent one weekend at their house and came away unharmed, so I think he is OK with my little experiment, as long as it isn't permanent. :)

I have no intentions of giving up meat. I love meat. But, I also love veggies. I mean really really love veggies. I have always wanted to cook veggies. I mean really cook veggies. Not open a can or bag and throw it in the microwave, but complete meals made exclusively from plant-based sources. So, I thought what better way to do it than put it in my 30 under 30 challenge and commit myself.

So far things are going really well. The first few days were tough because we didn't go grocery shopping. I think the first three dinners were spaghetti, mac & cheese, and chocolate milkshake. Turns out, when you want to cook vegetables, you have to go to the store and buy vegetables.

Once the fridge was stocked, cooking at home hasn't been a problem at all, and actually is quite enjoyable. I haven't missed meat in any of my meals and have learned a lot. Did you know you can cook dry black beans in the crock pot with rotel and water? They are delicious (thanks mom!).

The difficult part is lunches and events that include meat. I have went to a couple of these this month and have failed both times at not eating meat. I ate Salmon and crab, so that hardly counts right? I justified it because the purpose is to cook meatless meals, and I am doing that, so all is well.

So there you have it. I am almost finished with another 30 under 30 challenge. Come on over this weekend and I can cook you black bean, quinoa, arrowroot, arugala salad with cilantro lime dressing. Or, I can order you a cheese pizza. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment